First Print DM's Guide - blank pages
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:37 pm 

Hello - first time posting here, so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a First Printing DM's guide here (cropped D in full evidence) with an unusual feature. There are a few completely blank pages. For example, pages 124 and 125 are blank. The pages are missing text and pages numbers. They are inserted into the proper place in the book.

There are a few places where one of the facing pages is blank.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Would this increase or decrease the value of the book?

Attachment:
IMG_3359 (Edited).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:02 pm 

To clarify, are the blank pages supposed to have text/graphics and page numbers or are they extra pages?

If there are several missing/blank pages this is a pretty big flaw and it would normally decrease the value quite a bit.  There are people that would still be interested in it, since it is a 1st print and it's a curiosity, but overall it would likely not be worth anywhere near what a 1st print in similar condition would be worth.

This does happen occasionally, but this one might be worse than the typical printing defect/error.

But...

You might be aware of one of the most infamous defects, but if not, here's a link to the 2nd Alpha information:

Dungeon Masters Guide

This is a rare example of a printing defect actually increasing the value significantly.  These particular DM Guides are highly sought after, since they should have all been recalled and corrected.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 am 

They are completely blank pages in place of where they would normally be.  I am aware of the 2nd edition Alpha edition.

There are about 10-12 such pages, so it is not a huge number. I was curious if anyone had heard of such a defect before.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:51 pm 

Have you tried holding the supposedly blank pages up to a lightbulb?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:22 pm 

sauromatian wrote in First Print DM's Guide - blank pages:Have you tried holding the supposedly blank pages up to a lightbulb?

No, why? The set of pages follows a regular pattern.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:27 am 

KenH wrote in First Print DM's Guide - blank pages:
No, why? The set of pages follows a regular pattern.

To see if the hidden text is revealed. :)

10-12 pages is a lot of pages.  It's usually only a couple of pages in the printing errors that I've seen.

The more common printing errors, in rough order of frequency.

1.        Misaligned pages
2.        Ink smudges or smears
3.        Print fading or inconsistency
4.        Print artifacts or blemishes
5.        Binding issues
6.        Creases or folds
7.        Blank pages

Quality control measures have improved quite a bit since these books were produced, so more of these errors are caught now with high-volume publishers.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am 

In this case, I think the "signature" had a problem. All of the blanks are in a 16-page range which is the length of the "signature."

Page 113 is blank, but the facing page (112) is normal.
Pages 116-117 are blank
Pages 120-121 are blank
Pages 124-125 are blank
Page 128 is blank, but the facing page (129) is normal.

Everything else is OK.