Cheers, Gary value?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 pm 

Hi all,

I'm trying to help out a friend who's going through some bad times, and in order to do so, I'm considering parting with some things I normally wouldn't sell.  One of those is my copy of Cheers, Gary, which I bought at Gen Con in 2009 (back when we actually thought the Memorial Fund would come to fruition.)

The problem is, I have no idea what it would be worth nowadays.

Does anyone have any kind of a guess?  I'm willing to part with it--it's in a good cause--but not if it's going to be of minimal interest.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:43 pm 

I think that would have been in 2011?

Cheers, Gary will be printed in a limited softcover edition of 200 copies, signed by Gail Gygax and Paul Hughes (who each contributed an introduction to the book) at Gen Con 2011. These will be available to everyone who makes a donation of $30 or more at the Old School Renaissance Group booth #1541 and, if copies remain, through Home. After this print run, we plan to do a hardcover edition of "Cheers, Gary" and also a similar collection of his Dragonsfoot Q&A threads. These will be available through the Gygax Memorial website and at conventions and fundraiser events throughout the year.

I don't think they ever published the hardcover or the Dragonsfoot Q&A collection book.

It's an interesting collectible, but I'm not sure it would be worth a lot, considering some of the negative history around it.  People might disagree, but I'd reckon it might sell for $150-200.

This is definitely an item that would be ideal for listing on eBay as an auction with a low starting price.  With enough interest, and promotion, it could sell for more.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:53 pm 

2011 it was, then.  And, yes, I suppose having it autographed by Gail Gygax is less of a selling point these days.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:21 am 

I wouldn't have thought it would fetch that much, but maybe you're right Doug. Thanks for mentioning the circumstance surrounding the sale of the book. Bracton and I were the first ones at the booth and I asked Gail Gygax to number our copies but she wouldn't do it. She did inscribe in my book something like "first one in line" after signing it. Or Bracton might have that in his book and mine says "second in line".

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:02 am 

So I had to check. Mine does indeed say "first in line, Gen Con 2011".  :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."