3rd Print Woodgrain April 1975
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:00 am 

I’m looking to sell this 3rd printing of the original D&D box set. I’m interested in determining its quality and a fair sell price for it given its condition. I've attached pictures of the set showing all the imperfections/damages I could find aside from some light pencil markings on some pages of the booklets similar to the markings on the inside of the box. I can post more pictures as needed/requested.

I’d be interested in any suggestions for a starting price for an auction or a reasonable price to list for buying now.

Thank you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:51 am 

Nice item indeed!

For sure more pics would help to define with precision the overall conditions, with particular focus on every possible flaw (writings, rust on staple, lose pages, tears or damages on box and so forth).
From the few pics you posted, it could be a VG appraisal but it is an early valuation.
Current prices for a 3rd print as of today goes from 1k upwards, the better the condition the higher the potential value... in the last two years we have seen prices up to 3k.
Now, you can post here more piccies and get a more precise condition, or simply list it on ebay with a reasonable starting price, like 600 or 800 usd and be as much accurate as possible in the description (supported by pics!).
Good luck with your sale!
ciaoo

PS don't forget to post on the classified forum the link of your auction!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:19 pm 

aia wrote in 3rd Print Woodgrain April 1975:Nice item indeed!

For sure more pics would help to define with precision the overall conditions, with particular focus on every possible flaw (writings, rust on staple, lose pages, tears or damages on box and so forth).
From the few pics you posted, it could be a VG appraisal but it is an early valuation.
Current prices for a 3rd print as of today goes from 1k upwards, the better the condition the higher the potential value... in the last two years we have seen prices up to 3k.
Now, you can post here more piccies and get a more precise condition, or simply list it on ebay with a reasonable starting price, like 600 or 800 usd and be as much accurate as possible in the description (supported by pics!).
Good luck with your sale!
ciaoo

PS don't forget to post on the classified forum the link of your auction!

Those estimates seem vastly outdated, sorry aia. 3rd prints like this have fetched 8-10K and could go higher. I picked 5 of them in the last couple years so those are my main reference points, but I also have followed every single other such sale I could, as those are my fave items together with the 4th print white boxes (I just secured my 22nd white box this week as I believe in their cultural and investment value).

I sold one on FB earlier this year for 7K, in fair condition. Far from this one's quality.

Regardless, the right way to max out the value on this is to put it on ebay starting at $1, no reserve, with at least a week before the auction ends, the right pics and description, the right ending day and time for most North American time zones, and then inform the Acaeum forum and relevant FB forums.

Else put it at 8K Buy it Now and I trust it will sell within 3 days if not 3h. You can try 9 or 10K although there is another 3rd print from Australia right now, asking a little over 10k, that has yet to attract any taker, but the box condition seems a bit lesser. For a straight sale I would actually skip the ebay fees and use RPGAuctions on Facebook - just make sure to use PayPal Goods and Services, no other payment method is secure.

Also don't forget to check out the Rare list on Acaeum for a G to VG condition. The methodology was updated recently and it is much more accurate now. Right now it estimates $8,191 for a G and $10,239 for a VG.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:24 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've put this up on Ebay:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

...with additional details and pictures. If you have any questions feel free to post them here.

Thanks everyone!