1991 Complete Hand Collated TSR card set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am 

I finally completed this set during the pandemic but have not been able to find a value for it. Yes, it is gold bordered and contains all 746 cards including the promos. While there are technically 3000 possible sets I have seen an estimation of less than 25 in existence. I also find where the series 2 set has sold for $150 -$250 in years past. I would be most grateful if there is anyone here who has knowledge on these cards and can help me determine a fair value. While I spent 30 years collecting them, they don't actually hold much sentimental value as the draw was always in the hunt. The set is not completely in NM condition as some of the promo cards were roughly cut from the magazines in which they appeared and therefore have less than square corners and edges.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:03 pm 

I'll spitball a guess your way.  The value of D&D collectibles has gone up lately overall with certain items like original D&D woodgrain and white box sets and shrink wrapped items increasing the most.  Inflation is likely a factor. Critical Role is perhaps a factor, among other things.  Therefore, I wouldn't doubt that your card set has increased in value from even two years back.  However, as those card sets were not widely used and/or pursued in years past, the likelihood of a significant increase is unlikely.

I don't mean to be snarky, but the value is whatever someone will pay for it.  If you want to sell it, you'll get the highest price from eBay.  No one else comes close to offering you the biggest audience of potential buyers.  Yes, they take a percentage.  Yes, eBay has its issues.  Still, my opinion is that it's the best way to sell if you want the biggest profit.  If you need to sell it quick, offer it in an auction.  If you don't need to sell it quick, offer it with a Buy-It-Now price that you suspect is too high, like maybe $500.00, and see if you have any takers for a month or two.  Then slowly lower the price until it sells.  If you want a wild guess as to what I suspect it'll sell for, I'll say $250, maybe $300.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I take no snark when I say that I feel you are mostly correct about ebay being the best out. While I know rarity alone doesn't move the mark, I feel like that is a pretty lowball estimate based on the little research I have been able to do. I have a few extra rare cards that I may list out first and I may try my luck with a wildly outrageous price to start. Information being so scarce on this I am just a little reluctant to get in much hurry. It did take me 30 years to track it all down.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:30 pm 

Congrats on the achievement!

If you do decide to part with the collection, let us know in the Classifieds.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 am 

I'd try the wildly outrageous price to start strategy. I have been constantly surprised over the past few years at how prices have skyrocketed and the incredible sums people will pay for even relatively common items. I think the D&D movie will only build on the expansion of interest that Stranger Things seemed to trigger. The market base for D&D collectibles seems to be expanding rapidly and is reflected in the soaring prices for some items.