1984 TSR Pewter Chalice & Chess Set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:04 pm 

Hello,

My grandfather worked for TSR and left me this chalice and chess set after their passing back in 2013 and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what they would be worth!
I've seen some posts here and other places online of them and was pretty excited finding this forum.

Link to pics:
1984 TSR Pewter Chalice & Chess Set - Album on Imgur

Last edited by drrifted on Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:36 pm 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don't have any direct knowledge of these, other than both are very rare and in high demand.

Here's a thread from this past summer on the chess set: 1984 TSR Chess Set .  Apparently only 30 were made.

As far as the chalice, I couldn't find much other than a few pictures.  The last one that was sold on eBay went for about $700, back in 2016.  "ExTSR" on these forums may have more information on them; I know there were several different versions, with different models on the stem.

Foul

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:07 pm 

Hello drrifted, welcome to The Acaeum!

Those are two wonderful pieces of TSR history.

As Foul mentioned, these are both exceedingly rare and very much in demand.

There's not a lot of sales history on either of them, but it wouldn't be surprising if the chess set would sell at auction for $4,000-4,500.  The chalice is equally as rare as the chess set, but has sold for less at auction.  It would likely sell at auction for $1,000-1,500.  It's really hard to say, though, since there haven't been a lot of sales in recent years, and prices have gone up considerably for rare TSR collectibles.

I know these likely have some sentimental value, but if you are considering selling them, your best bet is to do so at auction, preferably on eBay, or on one of the better-known Facebook D&D groups.  If you are thinking of going this route, it would be best to post an announcement in The Acaeum Classifieds and on one or more of the D&D-related Facebook groups.  Would recommend listing them with a low starting price, and no reserve, and they will sell for the best price.  Include lots of pictures too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:53 am 

Wonderful items! Rare and highly sought after.

The last chess set I remember at auction went for $3600
I can’t remember an auction for the chalice.

You may also get a bump in price if there’s any name recognition from your grandfather.

They would make a tidy sum either way.

Mike

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:01 pm 

chromaticknight wrote in 1984 TSR Pewter Chalice & Chess Set:Wonderful items! Rare and highly sought after.

The last chess set I remember at auction went for $3600
I can’t remember an auction for the chalice.

You may also get a bump in price if there’s any name recognition from your grandfather.

They would make a tidy sum either way.

Mike

Yeah his name was Phil Grisolia and is mentioned in Dragon Magazine #90 in the Gen Con section on page 18. (link below if you wanna read)

https://www.annarchive.com/files/Drmg090.pdf

Appreciate all the responses from y'all (:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:35 am 

Off topic....
There's this thread over on Dragonsfoot where people bang on about how rare the Dragon Magazine Archive is and how they treasure theirs, etc. Yet no-one is permitted to mention (because Moderators censor and even ban users) the fact that the whole archive is archived online in many locations, like the Annarchive and Scribd. They are petrified of the future and militant about their censorship over there, and their users (for the most part) are not collecotrs. The want the content but they don't specifically want the Archive per se, because DVDs deteriorate over time. A mint in shrink Dragon Magazine Archive may be worth $200, but in 10 years it'll be illegible and nothing more than plastic in a pretty box. A piece of D&D history nontheless. The data is already onliune, always will be, and is free to everyone. Dragonsfoot feel the need to conceal that from the general muppets among their readership.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.