R1 To the Aid of Falx - mint/shrinkwrap
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:03 pm 

Hi all.  I have had a mint shrinkwrap copy of To the Aid of Falx for many many years in my collection and I am considering parting with it.  Even though it is probably worth more than anything else in my collection, it just doesn’t mean as much to me as much of my other collection, as I never really played the module in childhood.  I figure if sold I could put the money towards more meaningful items I want.

Two questions.  One what do you think I should sell it for?  I don’t like auction formats typically for something so rare/expensive, but maybe I would if I thought it would sell well.  I am usually a buy it now type of guy for listings.  Anyways wanted to get thoughts on that.

Secondly is there any other good way to sell besides eBay?  They take like 13% I believe which is killer for something expensive.

Anyways look forward to your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:24 pm 

Seek sage advice from the forum on value.
There are those who buy and sell such things here, and they will be able to offer honest approximations of value.

Post detailed and thorough photos of what you are offering for sale.

You could seek offers from private buyers by posting in the classified section.

This is the only forum where most of the collectors of such things congregate and/or lurk. eBay definitely gets more eyes on your sale, but eBay internationally is biased legally towards the buyers rights over the sellers rights, and the seller pays for the privilege.

Probably start by taking some good photos, posting them in this thread and see where the conversation goes.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:39 pm 

Two of these sold on eBay within the past six months, one for about $270 and the other for a little over $600.  Neither of these were shrink wrapped.  If it's in mint to near mint condition, I would think $1000.00 or more is likely.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:29 pm 

The last shrinked copy of R1 we recorded was back in 2018, and sold for $3350.  This was on Facebook.  My personal recommendation is to sell it on eBay for the widest exposure.  Start it at $1, with no buy-it-now, 7-day auction.  Post some good pictures and note any damage or wear to the module; the more accurate you are, the more trust you will build.  Post a link to the auction in our Classifieds forum.  And let 'er rip.  You'll do well.  It may not reach $3350, as the market is fickle (and we're in a bit of an economic downturn), but it will easily clear $1000.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:45 am 

If you’re gonna sell on eBay, work out who you think your target buyer is, and time the auto Timon to end at a time roughly when most people may have time free to be sitting in front of their PCs or not distracted from their phones. The more people you have watching those final 10 mins the better.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:27 am 

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I’ll have to pull it out of my closet storage and take some good pics when I have a chance.  Have to restock firewood first!  If I do action format thinking I’ll start low, but set a reserve of like $1000 or something.  I definitely don’t want to give it away!

I’ll put the money towards copies of other more commons I would like mint copies of.  Believe it or not one thing I want is a mint Monster Manual II!

Thanks again and I’ll put the link on classifieds here when I get it together.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:31 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in R1 To the Aid of Falx - mint/shrinkwrap:If you’re gonna sell on eBay, work out who you think your target buyer is, and time the auto Timon to end at a time roughly when most people may have time free to be sitting in front of their PCs or not distracted from their phones. The more people you have watching those final 10 mins the better.

Oh as follow up when do you all think the best time is to end an auction?  Sunday night?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:03 pm 

When my primary buyers were in the US, I always went for around 9pm Monday or Tuesday. It served me well, but habbits change and I havent sold anything in years, so what do I know?
My think was people get busy at weekends, and have lives to live, and people also have gaming nights, which in the UK tend towards the ends of weeks rather than the beginning. I know you's all have different time zones over there 'cos you've got such a damn big country, but you'll never please everyone.

The $1000 reserve may hamper you kicking off the auction unless someone throws in an early bid and sails past it. Reserves tend to stifle sale prices because they indicate to the buyer that you already know you're expecting it to go high, and on the back of that they already know that all their competition is also aware. It's a personal choice though, and a lot will hand on really good clear detailed pictures. You're not shifting a spare book. You're selling a prized possession to a lot of people's collections. Paint the picture and make it real for your buyer and you'll do fine.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in R1 To the Aid of Falx - mint/shrinkwrap:When my primary buyers were in the US, I always went for around 9pm Monday or Tuesday. It served me well, but habbits change and I havent sold anything in years, so what do I know?
My think was people get busy at weekends, and have lives to live, and people also have gaming nights, which in the UK tend towards the ends of weeks rather than the beginning. I know you's all have different time zones over there 'cos you've got such a damn big country, but you'll never please everyone.

The $1000 reserve may hamper you kicking off the auction unless someone throws in an early bid and sails past it. Reserves tend to stifle sale prices because they indicate to the buyer that you already know you're expecting it to go high, and on the back of that they already know that all their competition is also aware. It's a personal choice though, and a lot will hand on really good clear detailed pictures. You're not shifting a spare book. You're selling a prized possession to a lot of people's collections. Paint the picture and make it real for your buyer and you'll do fine.

Great thought on the Monday/Tuesday.  Never thought of it that way but certainly makes sense.

I get your point on the reserve.  I still might have to reserve for better or worse as I’ve never sold any collectible this expensive before.  My luck it would be a bad week and go for $300!   8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:49 pm 

What Ian said.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:51 pm 

Again, I tended to avoid January and sometimes February because people overspend at Xmas and naturally are inclined to reel it in a bit. We’re not talking about kids spending their Christmas money here. We’re talking about grown ups fleshing out a collection or making considered investments here, and those sorts of expenses conflict sometimes with summer vacations, over spending and Christmas, and annual taxes. Also first two weeks of a month many people feel more flexible financially rather than last two weeks, but with a $1000 spend that doesn’t really come into play. These are considered purchases, but the underlying emotion still lingers with some. If it were me I’d aim for first two weeks in March and hit the forum with photos end of Feb, and maybe bolster the sale with other things too. But seek other advice. I can only say what worked for me in the past.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:44 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in R1 To the Aid of Falx - mint/shrinkwrap:Again, I tended to avoid January and sometimes February because people overspend at Xmas and naturally are inclined to reel it in a bit. We’re not talking about kids spending their Christmas money here. We’re talking about grown ups fleshing out a collection or making considered investments here, and those sorts of expenses conflict sometimes with summer vacations, over spending and Christmas, and annual taxes. Also first two weeks of a month many people feel more flexible financially rather than last two weeks, but with a $1000 spend that doesn’t really come into play. These are considered purchases, but the underlying emotion still lingers with some. If it were me I’d aim for first two weeks in March and hit the forum with photos end of Feb, and maybe bolster the sale with other things too. But seek other advice. I can only say what worked for me in the past.

Great strategy! ...and i agree with the reserve as well: that would be a break to the bids... a post here on the classified is worth more than a reserve!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:22 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in R1 To the Aid of Falx - mint/shrinkwrap:... and maybe bolster the sale with other things too. But seek other advice. I can only say what worked for me in the past.

By this I mean have more than one auction running and offer to combine shipping. It won't raise the price of the R1, but whoever bids on R! may well throw bids in on other auctions they would normally pass on because its free shipping to them. So the big fish push the little fish to pay more for your other product.

Also, don't kill it by failing to pack and post well. What's an extra $20 in postage and packing material even if you don't pass it along when you're selling something at $1K? Think, what happens if the postal worket throws the package across a room or kicks it out the truck door? I pack for that sort of sh!t and I've never had a package arrived damaged. I had one go missing once, but that was DHL and I won't use them again. Two or three layers of oversized stiff double walled cardboard either side, held together with tape and then shrinkwrapped, all in a box with padding should be fine. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 pm 

Loads of pictures.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.