Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:03 pm 

Hi there. I have a shrink wrapped The Dungeoneer Value Pack (with 1-6 dungeoneer and 10-18 and all three issues of the Dungeoneer Journal). I was wondering how much it would sell for. I have a lot of Judges Guild (shrink wrapped and otherwise), so I was wondering if there is a Judges Guild web site I could look at. Otherwise, I would just check eBay out. I will let you know in the future the Judges Guild I have.

I was also interested in the Fighting Wheel (I have two). Packripper (eBay name) has one for $1495.00. Would it sell for anything like this? He has a lot of high-end items, and he has been around for a while-since 1998 on eBay.  I was just interested to know who he was-he may be a member of the acaeum, but I don't know. Just curious.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:18 pm 

A good Judges Guild site but with out of date pricing..hmm
https://www.acaeum.com/jg/

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:26 pm 

The last Dungeoneer Value Pack in SW on eBay sold for $50 at auction.  There was only one bid.  These have not sold for very much historically.  For a while there was a lot of NOS (new old stock) available, but that might have dried up.  It would likely be best to list it at a low starting price and see where it goes, since one hasn't been sold for a while.

Edit: The Fighting Wheel apparently never came in SW, so I'm removing my commentary pertaining to SW.  If you see one for sale in SW, you should be highly skeptical.  Thanks, Stratochamp for the correction.

The Fighting Wheel in VF/NM condition would likely sell at auction for around $300-$400, assuming it has the original sleeve.  If you had the errata sheet, it would probably go for the higher end of that range.

Last edited by dbartman on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:14 pm 

Fighting Wheels did not come wrapped in shrink wrap. Therefore there should be no inflation for one in plastic. In fact I would be skeptical of one in plastic, and wonder what is being hidden inside the sleeve...

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:43 pm 

Greylake wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions:all three issues of the Dungeoneer Journal

It's a bit of an irony that the best old-school, non-TSR material is still plentiful & cheap. Dungeoneer issues 12 & 13 have amazing covers, & 14 is as good of a RuneQuest supplement* as many Chaosium publications from the same time period which sell for much more.

*Note that 14 contains the primary Chaosium-era writeup for the Gloranthan goddess of love, while the primary Avalon-Hill-era writeup for this deity is in Different Worlds. This mimics the way some 20th-Century magazines were the purveyors of sexual content in those days, & how these magazines were considered out-of-bounds for polite society. Subsequently, the core information about the Gloranthan deity was not obtainable from RuneQuest's official product line. You had to learn about it on the street corner.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:20 am 

dbartman wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions:The fighting wheel in SW is worth quite a bit.  I would expect a SW one to sell around $1,000-$1,500 at auction.  If it's not in SW, it would likely sell at auction for around $300-$400, assuming it has the original sleeve.  If you had the errata sheet, it would probably go for the higher end of that range.

I would have replied about half of your values... Indeed this helps me to refocus on a former discussion: it could be very helpful for everybody to have access to the data points of an items... if not the single sale, i see the average for one year (and the nr of data per year) a very useful piece of info!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:45 am 

Those estimated values were from recent sold and fixed price eBay auctions, not Acaeum valuations.  Of course, condition is a big factor.  I should have stated that those estimates were for VF/NM condition.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:53 am 

Thank you for the info!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:09 am 

sauromatian wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions:
It's a bit of an irony that the best old-school, non-TSR material is still plentiful & cheap. Dungeoneer issues 12 & 13 have amazing covers, & 14 is as good of a RuneQuest supplement* as many Chaosium publications from the same time period which sell for much more.

Saruman points out an observation I made back when I started collecting. It has always seemed that the crappy non-TSR older products, from a useability standpoint, are the ones that tend to go for higher prices, while the good stuff stays affordable and available. Judges Guild items fall in the latter category mostly, except Under the Storm Giant's Castle. I had that one filed under "emergency birdcage liner".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 am 

Deadlord wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions: Judges Guild items fall in the latter category mostly, except Under the Storm Giant's Castle. I had that one filed under "emergency birdcage liner".

It's not as bad for the period as its reputation. Most scenarios are rehashes of other people's ideas and Under the Storm Giant's Castle is very unusual and original. There is a good adventure in there struggling to get out, so I'd mine it for ideas.

The early Judges Guild one that irritates me is Modron, which does not hang together at all. It's two completely different adventures - a town and an underwater adventure (really just some underwater rules) - just glued together. There are cross references that make no sense.

The best non-TSR old-school material (apart from the very earliest Judges Guild efforts and the Jaquays stuff) is in UK fanzines which are like hen's teeth to find.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:26 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions:The best non-TSR old-school material (apart from the very earliest Judges Guild efforts and the Jaquays stuff) is in UK fanzines which are like hen's teeth to find.

... although a fair number of them have been archived online for posterity, by the good folks who like to preserve our past in such a manner, and the ever helpful Google who do a half-arsed job of recording such things. You’d figure those guys would have learned to write bots by now, huh?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:29 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Fighting Wheel and Judges Guild Questions:the ever helpful Google who do a half-arsed job of recording

The half-arsed job has become quarter-arsed, & is rapidly descending into eighth-arsed status as Google de-lists sites which have not received recent security updates, or are not optimized for mobile devices. I too share your dream of making the internet into a public library, free for all by the generosity of the taxpayers, & curated to remove all triggering or seditious content.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 am 

I'm all for triggering and seditious content.
Snowflakes need backbones.
Without them they'll never stand on their own two feet when their helecopter parents have met their creator.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.