Rare Dragon?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:53 pm 

I bought a small collection of old Dragon magazines in Minneapolis about twenty years ago and just recently noticed something quite interesting. One of them (#19) still has the cover for mailing purposes. The back of the "envelope" has Finieous Fingers saying, "YOUR DRAGON HATH ARRIVED." This is what's on the address label:

MAR Barker
118 E Elmwood Pl.
Minneapolis, MN 55419

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:13 pm 

#19 is an early number, and rare, relative to the full run of Dragon magazine.  It's even rarer since it still has the original mailing cover.  The fact that it was apparently M.A.R. Barker's personal copy makes it unique, and obviously rarer.

Perhaps the other Dragon magazines were also part of his collection, but without any additional provenance, that would be difficult to prove.

There is some controversy swirling around M.A.R. Barker.  It's still a unique item that would probably sell for a decent amount.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:03 pm 

What's decent?

I bought all the Dragon magazines in a batch: numbers 3, 7, 12, 14, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. So I'm thinking they are all his although only one has the mailing label. Only #7 has an article in it that Barker wrote.  They were priced individually from $18 to $8.  They all came in at the same time so it must have been from the same person.  Someone checked for me and it's really his address.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:36 pm 

The typical price for #19 VF/NM with mailing cover would be around $100-120.  If in lesser condition, you should expect less.  Personal copies from a notable author or celebrity can go for 2X or more, depending on the person.

If you were to sell these, it might be worthwhile to sell them altogether, indicating that you believe they are all from M.A.R. Barker's collection, based on what information you have at the time of purchase.  It would be wise to state that you cannot guarantee this though.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:36 pm 

I have Barker's Dragon magazine #1 with mailing label. Removing the mailing labels usually leaves behind some residue. The mailing covers didn't begin until issue #11. The issues you have from 12 through 26 could have had mailing covers that have been removed. You should check the staples and see if there is any remnant of the mailing covers still there. I would not expect 3 and 7 to have been Barker's however as there is no mailing label.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:01 am 

dbartman wrote in Rare Dragon?:There is some controversy swirling around M.A.R. Barker.

Do you mean the sort of general S&M-type creepiness which pervades everything Tekumel, or something specific?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:56 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Rare Dragon?:
Do you mean the sort of general S&M-type creepiness which pervades everything Tekumel, or something specific?

No, it's a bit more specific:  Tékumel Foundation - The Tékumel Foundation's Board of Directors Statement on Serpent's Walk.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:55 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Rare Dragon?:I have Barker's Dragon magazine #1 with mailing label. Removing the mailing labels usually leaves behind some residue. The mailing covers didn't begin until issue #11. The issues you have from 12 through 26 could have had mailing covers that have been removed. You should check the staples and see if there is any remnant of the mailing covers still there. I would not expect 3 and 7 to have been Barker's however as there is no mailing label.

Do you mean for issues #1 to #10 there should be a mailing label on the magazine itself rather than a cover?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:22 pm 

Correct.  For issues #1 - #10, no mailing label = not part of the initial subscriber mailout (i.e., received by ordering backstock through the Mail Order Hobby Shop).  There was only a single printing of each issue though.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:10 pm 

dbartman wrote in Rare Dragon?:The typical price for #19 VF/NM with mailing cover would be around $100-120.  If in lesser condition, you should expect less.  Personal copies from a notable author or celebrity can go for 2X or more, depending on the person.

Holy crack monkeys, are they really worth that much?!?! I remember my run had mailing covers from #12 to about #33 IIRC.................

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.