Stormbringer 1e box set?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 am 

I've lucked into a first edition, second printing (1" deep box with black sides, as opposed to the earlier 2" deep box with the red sides) copy of the Stormbringer box set from Chaosium.

The box itself has a dished top and minor shelf wear but no split corners or tears and the contents are 100% complete and as new (even the counters are uncut). What might be a ballpark estimate on the value of this thing?

I'm going to, unfortunately, have to turn it around for quick sale as I've just received word that my medical benefits have been terminated due to mishandling of paperwork. :(

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:33 pm 

I see one sold a couple of weeks ago on EBay for a little over $45 in open auction.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm 

If you're talking about the one with the multiple rulebooks, that's actually a 1985 fourth printing that was incorrectly listed as a 1981 printing. The first through third printings contain only a single rulebook (they split the content into multiple rulebooks for the 4th printing).

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:11 pm 

jdrakeh01 wrote in Stormbringer 1e box set?:If you're talking about the one with the multiple rulebooks, that's actually a 1985 fourth printing that was incorrectly listed as a 1981 printing. The first through third printings contain only a single rulebook (they split the content into multiple rulebooks for the 4th printing).

is there a website with information on the chaosium box set printings? or did you garner it from the forums here? (I havent' checked)

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am 

I got my info from Wayne's, which I've found is pretty reliable for detailed info about various printings of old games (they specifically omit pricing information, however). Here's a link:

Elric/Stormbringer/Hawkmoon/Corum - Wayne's Books RPG Reference

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:51 am 

Yeah, Wayne's is a great resource.

Both Wayne's and RPG Geek have the one I found as a 2nd edition though, and not a 1E printing. Still, I'd imagine that unless 2E is more rare, a 1E box would be at least $50 if not more. The only other thin box I saw was under the auspices of a known shady dealer, so take that one with a grain of gunpowder.

They certainly don't seem to come up much.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm 

Well, that's good news. :)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 am 

Ah, early Stormbringer. Géraud and I tore our hair out trying to get this settled.

CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 1p        2"        red book, no errata
CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 2p        2"        green book, errata
CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 3p        1"        red book, errata
CHA 2101-X        Stormbringer 1E 4p        1"        red book, errata
CHA 2101-X        Stormbringer 2E 1p        1"        three books

I believe that is correct, but this stuff is in storage at the moment, so I'm working from my spreadsheet, a couple pictures, and memory.

Oh yeah, price estimate. In the condition you describe, I'd say $40-60ish. These surged for a while, but appear to have come back down. Not much price difference between versions. Small premium for original dice (if you send me a clear pic, I can verify them).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 am 

I found this post (from 2010) that tags you as helping put the following together .... Does this sound about right Steve?

Chaosium, Stormbringer box set:

Printing Information:

First  (July, 1981)

* Red box with a picture of Elric. Box lid states: "STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* No â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2006-X on the side and back.
* 2" deep box (5 cm).
* One 144 page red rulesbook, without errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (brown/tan, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six polyhedral dice (one 4-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided, and three 6-sided).
* Box sides are red.
* Box bottom: white box descriptions with blue text, over a blue on blue map.

First+ (1981?)

* Red box with a picture of Elric. Box lid states: "STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* No â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2006-X on the side and back.
* 2" deep box (5 cm).
* One 144 page green (or possibly red) rulesbook with errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (brown/tan, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six polyhedral dice (one 4-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided, and three 6-sided).
* Box sides are red.
* Box bottom: white box descriptions with blue text, over a blue on blue map.
* This print is a hybrid: The box and contents are identical to the 1st print, however the rulesbook with errata is clearly a second print.

Second (Unknown, box bottom dated, 1981)

* Black box with a picture of Elric.  Box lid states: "Michael Moorcock's STORMBRINGER: Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."
* â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2101-X on the sides and back.
* 1" shallow box (2.5 cm).
* One 144 page red (or possibly green) rulesbook with errata inside the front cover.
* Large map (red, 22x28"), reference sheets, cardstock silhouettes, sample character sheets, and six dice (see below).
* Box sides are black.
* No ISBN on box bottom above, ''Printed in the USA."
* Box Bottom is black with white text, and has a black and white illustration: "Grome and the Ship of Land and Sea."
* The boxed description on the box bottom states:

"INCLUDED IN THIS BOX--Stormbringer Rulesbook (art by Frank Brunner, welcome to the Young Kingdoms, character generation, weapons & combat, skills, sorcery, cults, creatures, hints for the game master, statistics for the characters from the novels, sample summonings, game tables & charts, introductory scenario).  Map of the Young Kingdom (22x28"), Playaids (eight major character forms, sixteen minor character forms, eight demon forms, eight page reference booklet, twenty-five character & creature silhouettes), six polyhedral dice ( one 4-sided, three 6-sided, one 8-sided, one 20-sided)."

Second Edition (1985)

* Black box with a picture of Elric.  Box lid states: "Michael Moorcock's STORMBRINGER:  Fantasy Role Playing in the World of Elric.  Created by MICHAEL MOORCOCK in his Novels. By Ken St. Andre & Steve Perrin."  
* â„¢ over the last R in Stormbringer.
* Stock number 2101-X on the sides and back.
* 1" shallow box (2.5 cm)
* Three rulebooks, map (17x22"), reference sheets, character sheets, and three dice.
* Box sides are black.
* ISBN on box bottom left, above 'Printed in the USA."
* Box Bottom is black with white text, and has a black and white illustration: "Grome and the Ship of Land and Sea."
* The boxed description on the box bottom states:

"INCLUDED IN THIS BOX--Players Book (welcome to the Young Kingdoms, character generation, movement, weapons & combat, skills, poisons, etc.). Magic book (sorcery, lesser demons, elementals, Beast Lords, cults of Chaos, cults of Law). Gamemaster book (hints for the gamester, a complete short adventure, statistics for characters from the novels.). Map of the Young Kingdoms (17x22"). Reference Booklet (explanation of the box contents, character sheets, 8 pages of reference tables, prices, etc. Three polyhedral dice (1D6, 1D8, 1D20) are included, enough to play the game."

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:10 pm 

That's what we knew at the time. These five variations of the early boxes definitely exist. I have them all.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 am 

FWIW, I ended up selling my box for $130 (including Priority Mail shipping and some packing materials, so closer to $110). I ended up using the RPGGeek printing info and referred bidders there and Wayne's for research since they agreed with each other and were independently verified.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am 

Well I am glad we were all able to help.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 pm 

red_bus wrote in Stormbringer 1e box set?:Well I am glad we were all able to help.

You were! Thank you, all! :)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:26 pm 

Great! I'm glad you got so much for it!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Stormbringer 1e box set?:Great! I'm glad you got so much for it!

Me, too. The box was in Fair condition but the contents were really like new. I didn't want to sell it (having just acquired it myself) but my healthcare benefits were revoked and I needed to cover my monthly premium out of pocket in a hurry. That said, it was a really awesome box set and I hope the buyer enjoys it.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:11 pm 

Based on some recent research, here's what I have added to the above provided info:

CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 1p        2"        1981 red book, no errata, 5000 printed
CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 2p        2"        1982 green book, errata, 3000 printed
CHA 2006-X        Stormbringer 1E 3p        1"        1983 red book, errata (Stormbringer logos have TM next to them) 3000 printed
CHA 2101-X        Stormbringer 1E 4p        1"        1984 red book, errata (Stormbringer logos have TM next to them) 3000 printed
CHA 2101-X        Stormbringer 2E 1p        1"        1985 three books (Stormbringer logos have circle "R" next to them) 3000 printed

Chaosium reprinted this game annually, usually in July or August. The print run sizes are from our company records.
One thing to note is that these boxed sets were collated in house. The boxes were printed by Boxcraft, and the contents were printed by Lompa Printing.
Because they were collated in house it is highly likely that some items were collated into later sets just so they could use up old stock.
The dice are an absolute wild-card as Chaosium just bought whatever was cheapest at the time, and kept refilling the dice bowls.
The catalog included in the box could also vary. They collated these sets in batches, but didn't do an entire print run all at once.

After all, we are the Chaosium, not the Orderium.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:06 pm 

Interesting. I know one of them gave me fits trying to find, but I don't recall which at this point. Seems like they should all be out there.