Holmes basic manuscript
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:08 pm 

Here is a fun piece that I acquired recently and was curious what the experts thought of the value...
132 pages - single sided

Last edited by billygalaxy on Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm 

8O

It's worth more than I am willing to pay!  Nice!

I would not be surprised if there were some offers from this community, especially if you share about its provenance.  We like stories.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

I have a great story and tons of great info to share with the community. It will however take some time to get it all together and present it properly.
And as far as provenance goes, it is unimpeachable.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm 

Very interesting indeed.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:49 pm 

I spoke with Billy on the phone yesterday and he told me about this. He runs a vintage/import toy store called Billy Galaxy in Portland (Holmes' hometown) and on Ebay. He currently has about a dozen items from the estate of Holmes listed on Ebay (See bibliography).

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 am 

I guess the next step would be to establish whether this is the tournament module, or the actual manuscript for Holmes Basic.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am 

Billy told me it was the draft for the Basic Set rulebook. Note the subtitle:

Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames
Complete Rules in This Volume
Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil
and Miniature Figures

The 1st and 3rd-4th lines are the same subtitle as on the cover of the LBBs, with the second line being an addition.
My first question is whether this draft covers only levels 1-3 or higher levels as well.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:42 pm 

There are 3 stages of this particular manuscript.
The 1st looks like this:
This version is a huge folder stuffed with handwritten pages, typed pages, photocopies, lots and lots of corrections as well as some crude illustrations by JEH and some great illustrations by Chris Holmes (which were submitted to TSR and I am surprised they were not used in lieu of some of the art that was).
This one is staying in my collection and will not be sold, so pleas do not try. You can see how excited I am about it here.

The 2nd is an intermediary stage between the one directly above and the one in the initial post.
It is a cleaned up photocopied version of the above with numerous hand corrections/notes. Still includes a rough layout and illustrations by Chris.

The 3rd is the one that I posted here for appraisal.
It is a clean typeset document with no corrections or illustrations (other than the dungeon layout).
There are multiple copies of this version with at least 2 colors of outer cover (blue & gray).
The Holmes family retained one for their master set of Holmes material.
I have 2, one of which will be up for grabs at some point this summer.
And 1 (or possibly more) would have been sent to TSR where it was probably lost or destroyed since none have surfaced yet.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:52 pm 

That, indeed, sounds very exciting.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am 

Thanks for the additional pic and description, Billy. Fascinating.

As far as your original question goes - valuation is not my area of expertise, but I know it's difficult with these kind of unique items as it is hard to find comparable items.

A few other manuscript sales that I recall:

In 2004 at GenCon, a photocopy of Holmes' original manuscript for the Holmes/Kuntz article in Dragon #12, and correspondence between them, sold for $180. See here. Obviously a rulebook manuscript is going to be much more valuable than a magazine article draft.

A Dungeon Masters Guide (1979) manuscript, a review copy owned by TSR employee Jake Jaquet, once sold for over $3000. I'm not sure what year it was, but stratochamp mentioned it in a 2011 post here. There was open bidding (on Ebay?) on that item between three Acaeum members so that's a pretty accurate value for that particular item at the time it was auctioned.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Holmes basic manuscript:
In 2004 at GenCon, a photocopy of Holmes' original manuscript for the Holmes/Kuntz article in Dragon #12, and correspondence between them, sold for $180. See here. Obviously a rulebook manuscript is going to be much more valuable than a magazine article draft.

That is very interesting as I have the original hand written manuscript and some of the correspondence about it including a letter from Dragon that came with his payment for the article - $21.25!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:07 am 

Chris Holmes said that there should be an illustration of a carrion crawler too!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:43 am 

Any updates you'd care to share, Billy?