Box Sets Expensive Y'all
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:44 am 

Hey All,

This sub-forum aint that active so I thought I'd throw out a fresh post and see whats up!

What do you think of the current box prices? I see Planes of Conflict at no less than 400 GBP/350 USD and Planes of Law or Planes of Chaos around 130-140gbp listed.

I'm sure there are bargains to be had but I check pretty regularly and dont seem to find them.

Do you think someone has cornered the market in these? Were they more rare than I remembered in my childhood? Have they always been very expensive collectables (I havent looked at them since they were on store shelves 30 years ago until about a year ago)?

The % gains in prices feels like these have outpaced most things TSR related except for the Aid of Falx series and the Woody (and maybe the Immortals Set).

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great time and is staying safe,

Shadeun

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:56 am 

Prices of collectibles overall have increased.  That topic is being discussed here:

Record Prices for Collectibles

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:40 am 

The Planescape world was only produced for the 2nd edition.  Most Planescape products had lower print runs, therefore once the items were no longer in print, it became more difficult to obtain them.  Initially there wasn't a high demand for the Planescape products, but as the collectors started to recognize the setting as "collectible", the prices increased substantially.  This is especially true for the boxed sets, which can be difficult to find intact and in good shape, due to the numerous components in them.

Some Planescape items are particularly hard to find.  The rarest of these is the Planescape sketchbook.  There is a thread dedicated to it here:

Planescape Sketchbook

Some other products that have become quite expensive are:

Hellbound, The Blood War Boxed Set
Planes of Conflict Boxed Set
Campaign Setting Boxed Set
Tales From the Infinite Staircase
The Great Modron March
Lady of Pain Pewter Belt Buckles

The Planescape products are a visual feast, but sometimes difficult to read and use practically, due to the colors and formatting used in the products.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:45 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:Prices of collectibles overall have increased.  That topic is being discussed here:

Record Prices for Collectibles

Yeah cool, I saw that one also. But in my reckoning the price for planescape has gone up much much faster than non-planescape modules (1st or second ed) out of the TSR things - hence this thread. Also the planescape valuation board stuff is super out of date so wanted to try and kick off discussion ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 pm 

dbartman wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:The Planescape world was only produced for the 2nd edition.  Most Planescape products had lower print runs, therefore once the items were no longer in print, it became more difficult to obtain them.  Initially there wasn't a high demand for the Planescape products, but as the collectors started to recognize the setting as "collectible", the prices increased substantially.  This is especially true for the boxed sets, which can be difficult to find intact and in good shape, due to the numerous components in them.

Yeah, this seems fair. Nothing was printed post Torment, and it holds a special place in many's heart. Also they are a visual feast as you say. Look good on shelves etc.

dbartman wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all: Some Planescape items are particularly hard to find.  The rarest of these is the Planescape sketchbook.  There is a thread dedicated to it here:

Planescape Sketchbook

Juicy!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:04 am 

Was there a 4E/5E Player's Guide to Planescape?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:52 am 

shadeun wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:
Yeah cool, I saw that one also. But in my reckoning the price for planescape has gone up much much faster than non-planescape modules (1st or second ed) out of the TSR things - hence this thread. Also the planescape valuation board stuff is super out of date so wanted to try and kick off discussion ;)

I do think it's a bit more pronounced in Planescape but I believe a large part of that is the timeframe issue. A number of items from that 1997-99 era have seen tremendous jumps. For a real shock check out recent sales on the Ravenloft supplement Carnival.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:04 am 

blackdougal wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:For a real shock check out recent sales on the Ravenloft supplement Carnival.

Dont need to be shocked - have a copy  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:Was there a 4E/5E Player's Guide to Planescape?

I dont believe so, no.

However, if BG3 does well. You would have to think a Torment reboot could be on the cards. And then WoTC wouldn't pass up the chance for a tie in (just like they did for Baldurs Gate 3).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:56 pm 

I'm wondering what this is.....

I really don't know much about Planescape. I was an early adopter, ran games for a year or so, but could never get players to suspend reality, so I can understand why it never succeeded for the masses in real world play. Only the above has an & symbol that looks very much like the 4E/5E WotC symbol.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:41 pm 

LOL - That's a pretty good Planescape homebrew PDF for 5e.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:51 am 

Ah. Well that explains it. Thanks.
Looks like it's been designed for PoD.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:28 pm 

dbartman wrote in Box Sets Expensive Y'all:The Planescape world was only produced for the 2nd edition.  Most Planescape products had lower print runs, therefore once the items were no longer in print, it became more difficult to obtain them.  Initially there wasn't a high demand for the Planescape products, but as the collectors started to recognize the setting as "collectible", the prices increased substantially....
Some other products that have become quite expensive are:

Hellbound, The Blood War Boxed Set
Planes of Conflict Boxed Set
Campaign Setting Boxed Set
Tales From the Infinite Staircase
The Great Modron March
Lady of Pain Pewter Belt Buckles

The Planescape products are a visual feast, but sometimes difficult to read and use practically, due to the colors and formatting used in the products.

I'm curious what a SW campaign setting boxed set would fetch today.   I haven't seen one come up for sale in quite some time.  I totally agree with your last statement.  The layout is just too busy with some of the products.

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:07 pm 

Well if this is any indicator...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I guess a lot.  8O

-SKA