Acaeum limited prints
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:12 am 

Hi, re to the prints we realized here I have a doubt.
I understood that the print would have been done by the artist for the Acaeum only. This, i have always assumed so far, means that i should not expect to find anywhere else the subjects we realized as Acaeum prints. I was likely wrong as i found this:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Look at picture 20 (of22): that is the Acaeum print by Elmore. So, what we got as Acaeum print can be reproduced by the artist elsewhere... that is not what i understood...

Let me say that i was a bit disappointed (but maybe i should not be as i am likely in fault).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:37 am 

I think that Larry said somewhere that he made the black & white book to also help out aspiring artists In their drawings and preliminary work. So he was picking out a fair amount of behind-the-scenes type prelim drawings, sketches, to more full rendered drawings and inks fom various commissions and commercial pieces to include.
I think his intention there was to show how he would do you multiple drawings and then arrange them to see how it might look for a final before embarking on the oil painting.
I personally don't feel like this was infringing on anything from his final painting that we got a print out of.  If anything, I would say it would make our limited prints even more valuable.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:06 am 

Agreed.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:58 am 

Well!  I have an authoritative answer (I hope)!

Here's part of the actual signed contract with Larry Elmore.  As you can see in section 4, we only had reproduction rights for five years.  This was standard for all our Limited Edition prints.  I believe the reason for this was because it gave the artist a chance to make more money off of the artwork later and helped reduce our costs.  Price was a major consideration for why we did these prints in the first place as most people could not afford a private commission.

As to the artwork appearing in his book, I'm personally thrilled.  It's not the whole piece, just a tease.  It likely makes them more valuable to collectors interested in his art. It also helps to authenticate our limited edition prints as genuine.  Thanks for pointing this out!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:59 pm 

Thanks all - this was a nice refresher on how the limited print editions worked. I love my prints, and it's exciting for me to know the prints are represented in some fashion in the Elmore volume (which I wouldn't mind having that either).
Cheers,
Steve