50th Anniversary Thread
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:19 pm 

50th Anniversary minis are coming in boosters - like magic cards. You get one large and three small minis - at random. Trade for the ones you want? They do have the Magic user and plate wearing archer from the Holmes set as rare finds. No I dont like it, yes I pre-orderd 4 boosters that wont ship until July. You can buy the red dragon from the Holmes set for $30 without gambling btw.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wizkids-is ... r-set-ever

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:53 pm 

They look pretty cute.

Probably 0 value in this kind of thing though right. 31st set of minis....

I guess these are officially licensed or something? But not actually made by Wizards?

The Blue Wizard is amazing

assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2024/01/16/kutnr ... 93675.jpeg

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:36 pm 

I imagine they will make a ton of these figures. Buying individual minis will be the way to go, if you actually want them for display. I will break down and get the Holmes box art figures for a display with the box set eventually. I admit, the wizard and plate-archer would have been last on my list for rare figures, but dang that is so cool with the red dragon.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:26 am 

It really comes down to how many they produce.  5k sets ok.  50k sets, you’ll find them in bubble gum machines for 50 cents.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:37 pm 

I'll probably steer away from these.  They are good-looking, but those prices seem pretty high for random miniatures, especially if you wanted to collect all of them.  Looks like a cash grab.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:51 am 

Have WhiKids ever produced anything that was not a simple attempts to cash grab from the kiddies?
I'll give you that the failed bailout of Battletech may be considered by some, a contribution to the gaming world, but outside of that, isn't the company more of a leach than a contributor?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:29 am 

Happy Birthday, D&D! While there are several dates that might arguably be chosen as the official birthday of D&D, today appears to be the date referenced by Jon Peterson as reflected in this post by James Maliszewski on his most excellent website Grognardia.blogspot.com. Cheers!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:35 am 

Yay! Happy B-Day DnD!

Wizards may have a grand plan, but no one knows. Others have concerns.

When will DnD’s 50th anniversary actually begin?

Wizards shared some concrete launch dates as part of its big DnD release schedule announcement in December 2023, but these were quickly retracted, and no replacements have appeared. The documentary is reportedly still in pre-production, and it doesn’t even have a title. So far, only the anniversary miniatures seem to have a release window, in the third quarter of 2024.

I’m not expecting everything to drop on February 1, of course. Wizards of the Coast’s employees probably have their hands very full designing an (almost) new edition. But considering the specifics of the DnD 2023 release schedule were announced eight months in advance, this silence is a little concerning.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:45 pm 

As a big mini collector who uses them often in game I run, I'll probably get some of these.  Maybe most of them.  At least the ones with solid reuse value.  I bought the classic line that initially launched and skipped the alphabetical order ones that featured AD&D aesthetics.  Also on the horizon for the 50th anniversary is a new book by Jon Peterson that will talk about the history surrounding the initial release as well as reprint the original three books in their entirety.  I'm looking forward to that book and reading all the notes.  Should have plenty of Gary and Dave anecdotes I think.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:53 pm 

While there's a lot of stuff going on I can't talk about yet, I can at least say happy birthday to D&D!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 am 

increment wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:While there's a lot of stuff going on I can't talk about yet, I can at least say happy birthday to D&D!

Hi Jon, happy to read about these initiatives! Two pleasures from my side:
1. While i understand the confidentiality and respect it, can you pls let us know at least the time schedule (i.e. by when should we expect anything?)
2. Could you pls post here these initiatives as soon as they are publicly available?

Thanks a lot and ciaooo

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:09 pm 

I can't really speak to schedules (not my department) but if these initiatives as you put it are not noted here I'll chime in, sure.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 am 

Thanks a lot Jon!

PS you wrote schedules are not your department... are you working at Wizards?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:35 am 

aia wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:PS you wrote schedules are not your department... are you working at Wizards?

No, it's just a figure of speech.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:07 pm 

Looks like stuff is delayed and maybe even trimmed down. The documentary may not make it, their wont be a hardback bundle for x-mas and it doesn't look like the S series is going to get a reprint. The S series was brought up in a previous teaser video.  The history book still looks great. I am looking forward to the Holmes minis.

https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-releas ... 24-more-50

I am a little grumpy over the first two minutes of this video. It sounds like Hasbro is going out of their way to say the 50th's announcement wasn't late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxVlgehNpc late.

Last edited by Tszii on Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:05 pm 

Well, if you want a 5E bundle of sorts, I can't help that.  For me, the big deal is the history of D&D book with Jon's notes.  According to another video as well as (I'm told) EnWorld, that book will contain not only the OD&D bits, but Chainmail, relevant portions of Outdoor Survival and Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Eldritch Wizardry.  Regarding the documentary, I backed that original KS.  I have two things as Ash says it from Army of Darkness (jack and s**t).  I would like to see it at some point, but there is a plethora of other things out there we can glean from.  In terms of the minis, I like them.  I'll get them.  I wonder what the other chase ones are.  And on top of that, we have a second edition of Playing at the World coming out.  Lots to like for us I think.  Maybe not to every individual's tastes, but good options to choose from.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 pm 

I am sure we will see many other licensed 50th anniversary items released, here is one(not game related):

https://shop.wizkids.com/collections/pr ... y-kidrobot

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:20 pm 

The history book is on amazon for preorder. They dont charge until it ships. A down side here is sometimes they package books like no one cares about dented corners. The book will also likely be widely available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786969857?ps ... ct_details

Next