CGC Grading Etc...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:43 pm 

The Subject of the earlier thread is a bit much, and I just wanted to share more with my CGC grading experience.

The estimated turn around times seem to be random numbers.

I submitted a fast track ($15 extra) when the turn around was estimated at 3 weeks, 15 days. Its been almost 7 weeks, the estimated fast track time is down to 10 days for new submissions (2 weeks) but mine still hasn't been graded. Estimated doesnt mean anything.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:05 am 

You can bet I would be asking for my $15 back.  False advertising is just bad business.  

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:02 am 

Given the fact that at least in this community there is no need of an external grading company, i see two main points here:

1. Is the case provided by these companies a better way to keep safe our gems?

2. For any SW item, is it better to leave it in the original shrink or have the shrink removed and set in a case?

These questions go beyond the economic value and its trend...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:15 am 

aia wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:Given the fact that at least in this community there is no need of an external grading company, i see two main points here:

1. Is the case provided by these companies a better way to keep safe our gems?

2. For any SW item, is it better to leave it in the original shrink or have the shrink removed and set in a case?

These questions go beyond the economic value and its trend...

2. I could say I am torn in half over shrink or grading, but I am not. Anytime there are questions about the shrink being original, I think it would be better to just have a higher grade.  

I have modules in shrink I will not remove. This includes what I call a "master set" of early shrink wrapped items.

I did remove a 6th print S1 from shrink. I recorded it. I may post it once I get it back from CGC. I have other shrink wrap items that have large tears in the shrink, no price tags, multiple copies like C5, I think it makes sense to remove some of those to get graded. I am starting to think of all the common items which were never in shrink. Holmes rule books; all the rule books I guess, and box set books which look amazing and I keep them all in a box where you cant see them. These are on my list to grade.

1. The cases are glorious. They include an inner plastic case that keeps the module from getting corner dings. I think you could drop one down marble steps and the module would be fine. This is only good if you are curating items and dont care to read the particular copy. I have looked back over the years, for me thats about 2016 :), and I know I have added a 100 spine creases to modules when pulling two or more modules off the shelf at a time. These modules were bagged and boarded. I then used a lot of large top loaders, but they dont protect well from drops. They were also about $3-$4 each, so too expensive for every module. Only ones I was displaying.  

Knowing CGC, I do think they would refund my $15 fee, they may even do it without my asking. I was grumpy last night and wanted to complain on the internet. :)

I took this pic from a YT video to show the inner case removed from the outer case. Its sealed, you have to cut the comic out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:13 pm 

I am starting a group therapy session for those who have graded their modules. We will cover the two stages of grief: "How!?" and "Dammit!" We will also discuss how you are not an idiot, even though you feel like one. I will be leading the mantra: "Its actually a good grade."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 pm 

Could I ask what the total cost was, all in?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:40 pm 

I figured I would do the eBay legwork.  Maybe I'm struggling with this more than I should... Is the point of having items graded and slabbed to preserve cream of the crop type stuff with the common items?  A beat up STI, yes because there are probably 50 in the world so preserve it, not a D3 or I6 where there are 10's of thousands still in existence.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:47 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:Could I ask what the total cost was, all in?

These arent mine. I posted some I had graded before, but want to keep them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:02 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:I figured I would do the eBay legwork.  Maybe I'm struggling with this more than I should... Is the point of having items graded and slabbed to preserve cream of the crop type stuff with the common items?  A beat up STI, yes because there are probably 50 in the world so preserve it, not a D3 or I6 where there are 10's of thousands still in existence.

-SKA

Today yes, in 5 years? I think anything above a 5.0-6.0 would be worth grading. B2s, A1-4, all of it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:07 am 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:I am starting a group therapy session for those who have graded their modules. We will cover the two stages of grief: "How!?" and "Dammit!" We will also discuss how you are not an idiot, even though you feel like one. I will be leading the mantra: "Its actually a good grade."

LOL...  Any bets on how many items get trashed trying to unslab them due to an 'unexpected' grade?  Your sessions could get quite full.  :lol:

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:58 pm 

I honestly think grades of 7 or higher will command a price premium, these things are just very difficult to find in higher grades.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:39 pm 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
These arent mine. I posted some I had graded before, but want to keep them.

Sorry to be unclear - I meant how much was it to get them graded, including all the relevant extra fees?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:16 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
Sorry to be unclear - I meant how much was it to get them graded, including all the relevant extra fees?

At minimum, $25 per module, plus shipping each way.

Shipping to them, with insurance is what you would expect. Return shipping is super expensive with insurance. I paid $70 to return, what I declared to be worth, $1600 for 11 modules. It was a large box. The returned slabs are supper protected.

You can add an additional $15 if you want your modules cleaned and pressed as well. I believe I have learned you should always pay to clean and press. I could be wrong, but it seems to be the norm with comics. I am still learning.

So, if you fast track them, which I dont recommend at this point, clean and press, get a digital scan of a graded copy, its $60 per module plus shipping each way.

I guess I should mention, if you are sending a R1-4 or similar module, you may end up in the "High Value" category paying $85 per module as a base. I think we will be there in 3-5 years for of high grade first prints.

I love being able to scan the QR code in the back of this listing to read the graders notes btw. Its a super nice feature.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the breakdown

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:14 pm 

This got a 9.2.

My G1 First Print

light staple rust
moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

My therapist's name is Dr. Vinny Boombots. :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:03 pm 

That's a 9.2 with all of that edgewear? Color me purple with surprise.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:38 pm 

My S1 6th print got a 9.2 - white pages. I dont have it back yet. There are no grader notes and and there may not be. They dont have to provide grader notes. I believe its most common when the condition is evident, which I would stay mine largely are, since I just took it out of the shrink.

I am happy with the 9.2. I want to make a joke about it compared to the one above, but I think its an accurate grade. "Buy the card, not the grade." I have heard it several times. It applies here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4264499001/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:14 pm 

I assume this is a high for a C2.

Next