ACAEUM LIMITED EDITION ART PROJECT - QUINTUS ARTEM
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:52 pm 

I got a wild hair this afternoon and, upon gazing at my LE prints up on my wall, decided to float this to the community.  Nothing about this is set in stone; this is an exploratory post to gauge interest.

Two years ago the Limited Edition committee reached out to Denis Beauvais to see if we could commission a piece from him.  Beauvais is most well-known as the artist of the "chess piece" series of Dragon magazine covers.  We received an unexpected response -- he was interested, but not in creating one from scratch.  He produced a private, commissioned work some time ago for a customer, but he still retains the publication rights (he possesses a high-quality scan).  Incidentally, the original customer was contacted and was thrilled that it might end up as a published print (and who wouldn't; having the original of this would increase the value tremendously).

The plan never launched past that point, mostly due to concerns among the Committee members on the logistics of creating the print.  Beauvais lives in Vancouver (edit: he did, but now lives in Baja California), and has legal issues that most likely prevent his travel to the U.S.  So the printing / proofing / signature process becomes quite unwieldy and expensive.

However, in revisiting this myself right now, I think it's do-able.  ASSUMING (and these are all big If's):

- Beauvais is still interested in this (again, it's been almost exactly two years since our last communication);
    - The digital scan he possesses is indeed high-enough quality to produce the kind of print we want;
    - There's enough interest from the Acaeum community in committing to this (in the neighborhood of 75 prints)

To get around the logistics problem, we would source a printer local to Mr. Beauvais in Vancouver.  He could provide them with the scan and the print produced.  I would fly to Vancouver, bring the prints to him to be signed, and return with the prints on the plane.  I would then handle the shipping out to Acaeum members and/or bringing prints to NTRPGCon next June for folks to pickup in-person.

The Committee was able to get a somewhat-recent price quote to give us a ballpark of the costs involved, and it's looking like about $150 per print, plus shipping if you're not picking up in person at the Con (about $15-$20 domestically).  This could fluctuate, of course, depending on what the printer in Vancouver comes back with.  As with previous prints, this is strictly a non-profit operation on our part; I can't remember if we publicly published financials on previous projects before, but I'm happy to do it on this one.  The "shipping" costs here (my travel to/from Vancouver) will be higher than previous, but about the same as trying to get the prints physically mailed to me.  (Incidentally, if any of our fine members happen to live in Vancouver or reasonably close, we could potentially use your assistance with this; please PM me if interested).

Secondly, I've decided to further shake up the loyalty list procedure a bit.  As before, please indicate your interest in this project by replying to this thread (no PMs to me on this, please).  I will keep a list of those interested in a separate post here.  The list, however, will be unnumbered.  I get print #1 because I'm doing all the work.  NTRPGCon will get print #75.  The other prints will be randomly distributed.  I'm going to put them all in mailing tubes, shuffle the pile, and randomly stick mailing labels on them.  For picking prints up at the Con, same deal; if there's 15 prints to be delivered, they'll all be in sealed mailing tubes, and you get a random one.  While some may grumble about not receiving the same print number as they did last time (though you do actually still have a 1-in-73 chance!), I think this is fairer than continuing to award early print numbers to folks who originally participated in our first project almost 15 years ago.

In the event that we have more than 75 interested, we will prioritize frequent Acaeum contributors over one-post wonders, who assumably just registered with the forums in order to score a print.  Anyone may indicate interest in purchasing a second print as well (please post this publicly, below); as before, these second print requests will only be fulfilled if we have open spots.  No more than two prints per person.

The usual disclaimer: do not send any money at this time!  Once we (hopefully) have 75 interested parties, we'll move forward with actually contacting Mr. Beauvais and seeing if he's still in.  Then getting a printer quote.  And THEN posting a "send your money" announcement.

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:56 pm 

The artwork!

This original is sized 30" x 40".  Previous LE prints were 17" x 24".  In order to maintain close to this size, we'd scale the original to 18" x 24".

The depiction of an Efreet fighting a party of adventurers is a modernized take on the original cover of the DMG.  The white signature & date on the bottom right will not be present.  "ACAEUM" will be digitally added somewhere on the painting.

Foul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:57 pm 

The Interested List!  (updated Mar 1 2024):

67 of 75 spots registered (though we will launch the project once we reach 65 registrations)

FoulFoot
burntwire brothers
dbartman
Sir Kill Alot
stratochamp
shadeun
Thunderdave
smarmy1
Zenonmarfat
chromaticknight
carrejo
Badmike
gregory
brute
Lordan
wjaehnig
Heresy
Blackmoor
mrmanowar
dosselmeyer
elc52518
Skullhammer
Kobad
Killerladydog
misterspock
b-36
Invincible Overlord
mdr003
HermitFromPluto
red wizard
Seany
cdenham
Grug Greyskin
nevcoup
Thor
Improv
Rabbit_67
Sea-to-sky-games
Tszii
prufrock15
mark1107
rhynne
chrisdeputron
lucyjoyce
llyrbs
Egg of Coot
GamesGuy
Ligmancer
TheVeteranDM
dbartman #2
stratochamp #2
smarmy1 #2
chromaticknight #2
Seany #2
cdenham #2
Thor #2
Improv #2
prufrock15 #2
FoulFoot #2
Thunderdave #2
wjaehnig #2
Seany #2
Heresy #2
llyrbs #2
stratochamp #3
chromaticknight #3
NTRPGCon

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:16 pm 

Count us in for 1.

As a fall back maybe try Fred fields, I always thought he is one of the best.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:25 pm 

I'm in for two.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:27 pm 

Please add me Foul for 1.  If we get to 74 and need one more, I'll take a second one.  :D

-SKA

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:03 am 

I'd take two and I love the random number process for #'s 2-74.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:02 am 

Actually, Den is living in Baja, Mexico now. Little warmer than Vancouver.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:00 am 

Im in Foul

(thanks for this and all you do - as always!)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:08 am 

I’m in, thank you for running with this!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 am 

I would take two as well!

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:54 am 

jkason wrote in ACAEUM LIMITED EDITION ART PROJECT - QUINTUS ARTEM:Actually, Den is living in Baja, Mexico now. Little warmer than Vancouver.

That could be tricky.  But I have some ideas (mainly, convincing him to use a printer local to me, which then makes the trip to get them signed perhaps more manageable).  I'm still going to wait until we have enough registered interest before contacting him, though, so we don't look foolish in the event we can't proceed.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Foul

Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:39 pm 

Hi FoulFoot,

I would be very interested in a print as well.

Please add me to the list!

- Richard

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:44 pm 

I'm in for 1. 2 if needed

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:04 pm 

I’m in for one print, thank you for taking this on! love all the previous prints

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:08 pm 

I’ll do one. Note that Den was once deported from the US for overstaying his visa by several years. Getting him to sign the prints could be difficult and expensive. And thank you for setting #75 for NTRPG Con, Doug would have been happy, we are  good for it.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:08 am 

Count me in please

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor