Shrink is NOT a condition
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:54 am 

Tarmogoyf wrote in Shrink is NOT a condition:As a shrink collector, I'd rather have this copy than an open NM copy. I've had great results with using baking soda to remove orders and gently cleaning the shrink without damaging it to brighten the appearance.

I keep all my shrinkwrap pressed flat in a folder.
If you want I cound send you them. I don't really need them.
What do you do with all the shrink? How do you catalog it? How do you display it?
I always found the shrinkwrap to be the most boring part.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:22 pm 

Changing subject slightly. What do you classify as officially shrink wrapped item? To muddy this discussion but take it off-topic. In the early Nineties (Early 1993) TSR UK Limited were offloading their first Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons hardbacks, whether they were remaindered or sold-off cheaply to local stockists. All were shrink wrapped. Now are they accepted as official and thus highly collectable? Unfortunately don't have any copies left to show, but they were the Dragonlance Adventures, Dungeoneers Survival Guide and Wilderness Survival Guide.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:25 pm 

If we are only talking about hard backs, I don't ever remember the Dragonlance book being SW'd but the wilderness and dungeon survival guides were with a special 'bonus pack' wrap and each included a sort of booklet of encounters. I would call those 'official'. Anything else for 1st edition, I would say no. I'm not 100% sure with the 2nd edition books, especially the later printings but I think not as well. TSR at the time, just didn't wrap hardcovers.

You can see them here: https://acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/dark.html

I don't follow editions later than second, but I see a ton of fourth edition hard covers that are wrapped. Not sure if they are official or not.

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:10 am 

These examples never get old...  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:17 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Shrink is NOT a condition:These examples never get old...  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Dayum! Solid 'collector quality' sw item there!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:50 pm 

1. Eww.
2. I dont think I would sell this, but I also have no idea what I would do with it? Open it, throw the cover and pen away and keep the booklet? Leave it as is because of the price tag?
3. Dont say trash it. Please. Guy at work, late 20s, loves 5e, would take anything in any condition. He would grab this out of a trash can.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:02 am 

Or like opening and drinking a bottle of 50 year old champagne ... open it, rehydrate the pen and play the module  :twisted:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:30 pm 

Poking fun at Conan… this shrink has seen better days… From the auction title, what exactly is “Mint”?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

-SKA

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:04 pm 

Did anyone see these auctions??? What kind of "shrink" does that look like?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:19 pm 

The first and last pictures are inside a polypropylene bag I believe.  I’ve had bags that were in the 10-12 years old range look exactly like that. No idea on the Red Sonja module.  Dang, how did I miss that B10 sale?   :scratch:

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:03 pm 

I hate to see this happen to these modules.  They are rare enough in wrapped condition, then the stupid pen explodes.  Terrible.  I think it will sell at this price point.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:21 pm 

Yeah, that sucks.  This issue occurred with these particular pens more that it should have.

Previous