403 and 503 error messages
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 am 

saw this today:

Anyone else been blocked by Acaeum ? - Dragonsfoot

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:18 am 

In recent weeks we've been under assault by spam registrations (not just us; every phpBB website).  The Russians have had a breakthrough in implementing AI into their spambots, which as one admin put it, "are now generally smarter than your average legitimate user".  The bots can easily pass captchas, question-and-answer (which we use here), etc.

As a result, I've blocked certain countries from accessing the site at all:  Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Latvia, Singapore, China, India, Pakistan, Moldova, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the entire continent of Africa.  Those countries combined are averaging approximately 4,000 registration attempts per day.  Once successfully registered, the bots will post a message (usually with Russian phrases) trying to get someone to click a link or purchase whatever nefarious goods and services.

There may be some legitimate users living in those countries who are caught up in this (though more likely, they are using a VPN connection that passes through one of those countries).  Fortunately, the Cloudflare block message that's displayed gives instructions on e-mailing me about the problem; with the user's IP address, I can allow them through the firewall.

Even with these blocks up, I'm still getting one to three successful bot registrations per day, which is at least manageable.

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:57 am 

Damn, that sucks!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm 

misterspock wrote in 403 and 503 error messages:Damn, that sucks!

Well said!   PDT_Armataz_01_02

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:13 am 

I got a cloudflare error this morning trying to post a few times. Not sure if this one will work too??

Allan.

Edit:  worked. I was also able to save the post as draft, which I had also expected to fail. Post was this text:

Refound this image at https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php? ... pic-heavy/ (scroll down a bit after the 1st mini in the thread), in case anyone else is looking for it ;)

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:59 am 

If I had to guess, Cloudflare didn't like something about that link that has ".php" in it.  Just a guess, because similar links haven't triggered anything.  Cloudflare has rules that help prevent bot attacks, and for some reason, it triggered on something in your post.

Since the post did eventually go through, it's possible Cloudflare just implemented a delay before allowing it through.  *shrugs*

I assume everything is okay now, and what you wanted to post has now gone through?

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:04 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in 403 and 503 error messages:I assume everything is okay now, and what you wanted to post has now gone through?

I think so, but the same errors happened posting the YT links in the thread at D&D Radio Show Pilot cassette

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:30 pm 

Quick observation:  the seller in the auction post at Lost Caverns of Tsojconth isn't accurate.  It should be BlackGate.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:56 pm 

Odd.  I think it's either an eBay glitch or the seller is changing, or has changed recently, their username.  This link pulls up the auction:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Foul

Previous