1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:49 am 

Pipswich wrote:
Keep up the great work and don't wander away from Acaeum.  I think you are a breath of fresh air around here and causing more serious academic discussion about the games origins than I have ever seen.  I am sure many of us envy your access and ability to spend so much time with original materials!  I, for one, don't intend to hold that against you though, even if your theory about the origins of the DalM doesn't pan out in the long run.  The point of research and discourse is not to be right, but to participate in the discussion that advances knowledge.  Kudos to you!

I don't have anything to add to the discussion but I would like to just echo these sentiments. I don't get the time to check blogs (there are too many to follow) and so have been following your analysis here.  I don't have a particular horse in this race and I expect that it will be extremely hard to ever prove the origins of this manuscript given that Gary, Dave and MAR Barker are not here to tell us more about it but I find the discussions fascinating and informative. Please keep it up!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 am 

It seems very odd that more documents like this are not available.  What happened to all the play test copies that Gygax distributed ? There has to be more than this out there.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 am 

Hey all, maybe i lost this detail in the whole discussion, but during the weekend i read an interesting article by Dave Arneson about the "early days"... i'd reccomend to have a look at it for it is perfect for this topic: in it even the playtest rules are mentioned...

If you want to read it, pls check Different Worlds #3!

ciaooo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:28 pm 

aia wrote:Hey all, maybe i lost this detail in the whole discussion, but during the weekend i read an interesting article by Dave Arneson about the "early days"... i'd reccomend to have a look at it for it is perfect for this topic: in it even the playtest rules are mentioned...

If you want to read it, pls check Different Worlds #3!

ciaooo

Aia,
Do you know if that article is available online someplace?

The owls are not what they seem...

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 am 

Agent Cooper wrote:Aia,

no, i dont know... but if youre not in hurry i can scan it and send it to you...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 pm 

aia wrote:
Agent Cooper wrote:Aia,

no, i dont know... but if youre not in hurry i can scan it and send it to you...

The salient portion is probably Arneson's details about the early state of the Blackmoor campaign:

Chainmail to handle the combat at first. A system of magic based on ANIMAL-type, VEGETABLE-type or MINERAL-type with a hodge-podge of spells, populating the Dungeon fairly logically. (Orcs and minions on one level, etc), Magical Artifacts, Encounter Tables when the adventurers wanted to go off after bigger and better things, and so on. Is it any wonder I burned myself out! When stuff didn't work out, different things were tried, Greg Svenson, Pete Gaylord, John Snider and others began refereeing. Finally, a trip to Wisconsin and the first out of state adventure in Blackmoor, followed by screams of "we gotta have the rules!!!" Another trip, more correspondence, long distance calls (gads -- the expense!), rules were actually written down (but closely guarded by the referee and subject to change without notice if  things got out of hand). And on and on…
So by word of mouth, correspondence and phone calls, it grew and grew. There was no planned growth because the growth was not forseen, the clamour for more rules was not met when material was assembled and then published to meet the demand. There was no time to wait on matters, money would not have remained available as others planned similar projects and so we struck while the iron was hot. And also, the rules suffered from the fact that they were hastily put together, in fact, my final draft version was never used because of various deadlines that had been set. But, good lord, the demand and the interest was astounding, you had to be there to believe it or not believe it!

Arneson's description here of animal, vegetable and mineral magic is particularly interesting. The circa 1972 character sheet I show in PatW is from this era (the wizard there is an "organic" type, not vegetable, but bear in mind this article was written seven or so years after the fact). That concept doesn't seem to have survived for very long. While it has been hypothesized in the past that the reference Dave makes towards the end here to a "final draft version" could have referred to the Dalluhn Manuscript, for various reasons it's clear that the Dalluhn Manuscript could not be Dave's final draft (e.g., there are concepts that clearly came from Dave in OD&D that are not present in Dalluhn, like the descriptions of magic swords).  What I think this account does describe is a fairly chaotic process in which transitional rules existed in various states of development and documentation for a fairly extended period.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 pm 

It looks like I found the perfect time to reappear on The Acaeum.

This is fascinating on so many different levels it's almost hard to know where to start.

But two things really jumped out as I started reading the thread:

1) It reminds me of the work Bart Ehrman has done on early Christian manuscripts, a large part of which involves determining which manuscripts can be authentically attributed to a given historical figure (Peter, Thomas, Mary Magdelene), and which are pseudopegragphia.  While I doubt you'd be able to get Dr. Ehrman to weigh in on this, have you considered trying to find a subject matter expert on manuscripts to help? (Miskatonic has a good department in this field.)

2) I'm a writer myself, and back in the day I was no stranger to local bars.  Well, it turns out about 30 years ago I gave a typewritten manuscript to a bartender I was flirting with.  In one of those ungodly weird twists of fate, my wife and I had this same bartender (now a manager at a restaurant) come by to say hello while we were at dinner.  She (the bartender) told me she still had a copy of my ms (this took a bit of explaining to the wife, but that's for a different day).  She'd kept the ms all these years in case I got famous.  (I didn't.)  When I finally saw that old, partially-yellowed typewriter paper, I did not recognize it as anything I'd written at all.  And yet, it was mine. So Gary denying it and Dave not remembering doesn't surprise me in the least.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:59 pm 

I have another question: Who was Dalluhn?

Maybe this is like asking who was Pickman and I'll simply go mad.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm 

Wow what a fantastic thread! The lore and knowledge of the game's history that some of you possess is astounding.  I am hoping at some point a shred of evidence will come forth that can shed light on source of this document.  Then again, maybe it would be better left a mystery...  :wink:

Thank you for all the time and effort put into this discussion.

-Brund

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote: It reminds me of the work Bart Ehrman has done on early Christian manuscripts, a large part of which involves determining which manuscripts can be authentically attributed to a given historical figure (Peter, Thomas, Mary Magdelene), and which are pseudopegragphia.  While I doubt you'd be able to get Dr. Ehrman to weigh in on this, have you considered trying to find a subject matter expert on manuscripts to help? (Miskatonic has a good department in this field.)

I was going to suggest this very thing. What is equally applicable here is that the writer of the material may not be the actual author. For example, 1 Peter and 2 Peter appear to be written by two different people, though the author is claimed to be Peter in both cases. In the case of 2 Peter, it is thought that Peter orated the text to a scribe. Likewise, with Revelation, Genesis, among others. So I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea that Arneson could be its author or oversaw the project in some capacity, even if he didn't appear to write much of it.

As to the arguments presented: the objections "it looks too nice to be a manuscript" and "it was made by a fan" strike me as mutually exclusive propositions. It seems unlikely that a fan would go the lengths described here - the artwork, the pagination, etc. - only to make some minor alterations. Moreover, it would seem normal for someone who went through all of this effort to claim some kind of credit for it, "Dungeons and Dragons by Superfan," with the relevant source credits and instances of fair use.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 am 

I know this is an old thread, but I was lurking when it happened, but just didn't have time to post my own $0.02.

After reading through this again, I still come to the same conclusion though. as I did last year.

And while I fully respect your hard work on this Jon(as well as on your book & blog), your research as it stands on this "manuscript", it is rife with confirmation bias.

That's not to say that your conclusion is wrong, only that you haven't come close to proving this is really a pre-D&D manuscript.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 am 

bclarkie wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:And while I fully respect your hard work on this Jon(as well as on your book & blog), your research as it stands on this "manuscript", it is rife with confirmation bias.

That's not to say that your conclusion is wrong, only that you haven't come close to proving this is really a pre-D&D manuscript.

Given that I initially dismissed this as preposterous, as I'm sure grodog would be happy to attest, confirmation bias probably isn't the source of any errors here. I stood nothing to gain from this being authentic, as it was thrust into my hands right after I had just published a book with a narrative that would be impacted by the authenticity of this document. If anything, I stood more to gain from adhering to my initial judgment that this was nonsense.

I do understand that people who haven't studied this document, and haven't studied the other early materials I refer to in connection with it, are unlikely to be persuaded by any textual argument. If I were hearing about this second hand, I'd surely be skeptical myself  - and well, I was, back in the day. I do however believe that I've produced a few points of evidence that show, beyond any reasonable doubt, that this document preserves system elements that predate D&D (and no, this thread is not where that analysis is presented). The elemental control devices passage is probably the simplest to grasp (2.bp.blogspot.com/-CDgUWe3En1c/UWhF5m0w ... bitK-s.jpg). Even if this manuscript had never come to light, the disparity between the elemental control devices listed in the D&D elementals text and those listed among the D&D magic items would have hinted at the variants considered during the design of the game. When a manuscript appears that fits that bill, well, we shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

A textual analysis can't prove when something was typed or when its illustrations were drawn. And any individual point of evidence can only show that a particular passage, like that elementals passage, predated the published version of the game. When you have enough pieces of evidence spread pervasively throughout the document, though, the alternative explanations become less likely. In my estimation, and again given my experience with early documents associated with the game, the other explanations for this document are far less plausible than the one I've presented. While I respect that many people simply want to reserve judgment on this, I feel obliged to advocate for this document publicly, and not to allow it slip between the cracks, because we just don't have anything else like it. The process of investigating this continually turns up more data about 1973, otherwise a dark ages in our understanding of the history, and more about the abiding connections between Chainmail, Blackmoor and D&D. I'm not expecting everyone to take the journey with me, but for me, it's been very rewarding.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 am 

First, let me say that while my post here may have come off as a bit coarse (and obviously out of the blue at that), that was honestly not my intention.  :)

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:Given that I initially dismissed this as preposterous, as I'm sure grodog would be happy to attest, confirmation bias probably isn't the source of any errors here. I stood nothing to gain from this being authentic, as it was thrust into my hands right after I had just published a book with a narrative that would be impacted by the authenticity of this document. If anything, I stood more to gain from adhering to my initial judgment that this was nonsense.

Having nothing to gain may be the case(and I'm definitely not accusing you of trying to profiteer in this at all), however that's not the driving force in where I see issues.
For example, you say:

the method I've used throughout my work (in my book and in analyzing this manuscript) is blind to late testimony precisely because it yields these kinds of discrepancies

Which in many ways is probably a good way to handle this, since as you note that eyewitness(for a lack of a better word) testimony can be unreliable at best, however your responses with respect to both Gygax's and Arneson's memories of the subject seem to be much more sympathetic towards Arneson's explanation over Gygax's i.e.

I think there is another possibility in Gygax's dismissal, namely, that he scanned some of the document and didn't review enough to recognize what it was

and

I'm surprised you react so incredulously to Arneson's honest uncertainty; over many decades I think many certainties can fade.

On top of that, your endeavor is based at initially in part on the notion that:

Early sources suggested that some of kind preliminary draft was circulated; as Gygax in 1977 remembered, "we began serious play-testing in Lake Geneva, while copies were sent to the Twin Cities and to several other groups for comment."

So you're at least relying on some "eyewitness testimony", which has it's issues as you note, although in the case of this last quote much closer to the time the game was produced and thus maybe more reliable.

--------------------------------

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:I do understand that people who haven't studied this document, and haven't studied the other early materials I refer to in connection with it, are unlikely to be persuaded by any textual argument. If I were hearing about this second hand, I'd surely be skeptical myself  - and well, I was, back in the day.

Perhaps.  But the major issue that I run into here, is that assuming that it was produced with the same few year time frame(say 1973 to 1976-7ish), that would be the case regardless of who produced it. Particularly assuming that they had access to Chainmail and OD&D(and perhaps others) as it was produced.  
increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: I do however believe that I've produced a few points of evidence that show, beyond any reasonable doubt, that this document preserves system elements that predate D&D (and no, this thread is not where that analysis is presented). The elemental control devices passage is probably the simplest to grasp (2.bp.blogspot.com/-CDgUWe3En1c/UWhF5m0w ... bitK-s.jpg).

But this(and other examples like it) do not actually indicate anything other than the fact that whoever produced this work, had access to works that predate OD&D.  Due to the fact that could be a wide variety of people, many of which would have no connection to the design of the game, that's not enough to prove that this is an early OD&D manuscript.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: Even if this manuscript had never come to light, the disparity between the elemental control devices listed in the D&D elementals text and those listed among the D&D magic items would have hinted at the variants considered during the design of the game. When a manuscript appears that fits that bill, well, we shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I do not believe that it should be dismissed out of hand, I just think that more concrete evidence needs to be produced in order to prove this is a legit pre-OD&D manuscript.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: A textual analysis can't prove when something was typed or when its illustrations were drawn. And any individual point of evidence can only show that a particular passage, like that elementals passage, predated the published version of the game. When you have enough pieces of evidence spread pervasively throughout the document, though, the alternative explanations become less likely.  In my estimation, and again given my experience with early documents associated with the game, the other explanations for this document are far less plausible than the one I've presented.

But realistically, they're not less likely amongst those who had access to the same documentation as the producer of this work(legit or not-legit).  
To note, comparing textual similarities/inconsistencies should be an important part of this research, it by itself is not nearly enough to stand on its own with nailing down a whole host of other variables to be considered.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: While I respect that many people simply want to reserve judgment on this, I feel obliged to advocate for this document publicly, and not to allow it slip between the cracks, because we just don't have anything else like it.

I understand that, however keeping the research on this in the light can still be accomplished without coming to a concrete conclusion.  You correctly note earlier on in this thread that in many cases there's no smoking gun, but to me that's all the more reason to withhold any sort of final judgment on it, particularly in light of the fact that a primary source of your evidence revolves around textual similarities and difference, that could be easily explained with very plausible explanations.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: The process of investigating this continually turns up more data about 1973, otherwise a dark ages in our understanding of the history, and more about the abiding connections between Chainmail, Blackmoor and D&D. I'm not expecting everyone to take the journey with me, but for me, it's been very rewarding.

As noted above, I fully appreciate the work you've done on this and your other research.  My intention here is not to take away from that, only to present that I believe that far more evidence to needs to unearthed before making any sort of definitive proclamation.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:53 am 

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:The process of investigating this continually turns up more data about 1973, otherwise a dark ages in our understanding of the history...

Not only a bit of a black hole for D&D as that emerged, of course. Wonderful timing all round to have those gaps on the periodical front, especially US-side.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:<snip>
On top of that, your endeavor is based at initially in part on the notion that:

Early sources suggested that some of kind preliminary draft was circulated; as Gygax in 1977 remembered, "we began serious play-testing in Lake Geneva, while copies were sent to the Twin Cities and to several other groups for comment."

So you're at least relying on some "eyewitness testimony", which has it's issues as you note, although in the case of this last quote much closer to the time the game was produced and thus maybe more reliable.

Although I did quote Gygax on this point upstairs in this thread, I wouldn't say it's on the basis of testimony alone that I believe some kind of pre-publication version of the game circulated. It seems like a safe bet because we have pre-publication versions of other games of theirs from the era, it is widely attested by parties in both communities from basically the earliest date (as early as 1975). There are various 1973 activities (from evidence we find in fanzines) consistent with this as well.  Overall, though, I retain a healthy skepticism about much of what transpired in 1973, and certainly about any eyewitness notes from after the fact: and yes, my skepticism grows proportionately to the lateness of the testimony.

bclarkie wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:<snip>
increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: I do however believe that I've produced a few points of evidence that show, beyond any reasonable doubt, that this document preserves system elements that predate D&D (and no, this thread is not where that analysis is presented). The elemental control devices passage is probably the simplest to grasp (2.bp.blogspot.com/-CDgUWe3En1c/UWhF5m0w ... bitK-s.jpg).

But this(and other examples like it) do not actually indicate anything other than the fact that whoever produced this work, had access to works that predate OD&D.  Due to the fact that could be a wide variety of people, many of which would have no connection to the design of the game, that's not enough to prove that this is an early OD&D manuscript.

<snip>
increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: A textual analysis can't prove when something was typed or when its illustrations were drawn. And any individual point of evidence can only show that a particular passage, like that elementals passage, predated the published version of the game. When you have enough pieces of evidence spread pervasively throughout the document, though, the alternative explanations become less likely.  In my estimation, and again given my experience with early documents associated with the game, the other explanations for this document are far less plausible than the one I've presented.

But realistically, they're not less likely amongst those who had access to the same documentation as the producer of this work(legit or not-legit).  
To note, comparing textual similarities/inconsistencies should be an important part of this research, it by itself is not nearly enough to stand on its own with nailing down a whole host of other variables to be considered.

The conclusions that I reached, I came to because I was asked to try to identify this document, and to my own satisfaction, I did. I record those conclusions and talk about them because, as I said before, it drives good research into 1973, and we need more of that. I think my conclusions are narrow ones: saying merely that this document preserves pre-D&D system is largely consistent with your skepticism, as I read it. I really do try to avoid making rash or reckless claims, but I'm comfortable with my narrow conclusions even though I freely admit there are many things about this document that we don't know now, and may never know.

I don't hear you challenging the contention that this document preserves some pre-D&D state, so the question is just how much. If the elementals text were the only point of interest, and the rest of the document had no decisive relationship to Blackmoor, Chainmail or OD&D, then sure, we could argue that some later editor cut-and-pasted in that table, say, and the rest was of his own invention. But as I've pointed out, the points of connection are pervasive. Pervasive enough that I don't believe this hypothetical editor would go to the trouble of preserving all of those points of consistency with Blackmoor/Chainmail from pre-publication material without preserving effectively the entire pre-publication system as found. That's a judgment that emerges from the sheer bulk of the evidence, and the amount of the manuscript that is anchored to those points of consistency. It is therefore a hard sell for people who haven't studied the document in detail, understandably.

Where I have to agree with you is that we could never rule out on the basis of textual evidence alone that someone other than Gygax or Arneson could have re-typed pre-publication material, preserving 99% of it, perhaps introducing minor variations in phrasing or system intentionally or by accident as they went through it.  But that wouldn't make this any less a pre-publication edition of D&D to me, anyway - the FFC preserves many of Arneson's pre-publication original notes, verbatim, and they aren't any less his original notes because he shipped them to the JG who (mercifully) edited them for publication some years after D&D came out. Back in the day, many of Gygax and Arneson's pre-publication drafts were ultimately typed up or edited by others, and those parties introduced such small variations routinely. I don't think it's very unlikely that someone in Gygax or Arneson's circles typed up this document. This document is a signpost on a long road, and because of our ignorance about 1973, we have limited visibility into what twists and turns that road took. But that's exactly why it's crucial that students of the history not ignore it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:43 pm 

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:Although I did quote Gygax on this point upstairs in this thread, I wouldn't say it's on the basis of testimony alone that I believe some kind of pre-publication version of the game circulated. It seems like a safe bet because we have pre-publication versions of other games of theirs from the era, it is widely attested by parties in both communities from basically the earliest date (as early as 1975).

And that's certainly fair, I won't argue that point.  

A significant issue I still see though, and specifically with that in mind, is that not only is there nothing in print to this point that indicates what was contained in these things circulating around the various groups to form a "what to look for" basis of comparison(and this is essential IMO), there's also the matter of not only is this "manuscript" apparently one of a kind(nothing even remotely similar exists AFAIK), when you'd think there would be a least a few floating out there, if not ones from more direct sources, particularly & especially in light of the litigation(s) that occurred as a result of Gygax and Arneson's falling out.  

To that point, nothing even similar has been found in either of the main parties collections so to speak, that now have been poured over and effectively disseminated, now that both have sadly passed.  Additionally, Don Kaye's "collection" would be spoken for in that sense as well, if it's to be believed that Don's wife gave Gary all of his stuff after passed away.  Further, while it's probably not a surprise that folks who were involved directly don't remember things as they were back 40+ years ago, you'd think that there would be far more, for lack of a better word  "supporting documentation" direct or indirect in some form, that would support this particular items existence amongst the main contemporaries who were there. Nothing from EGG or Arneson. Nor the Kuntz's, not Don Kaye(through EGG), etc.  Of course the Blumes aren't active AFAIK in gaming and I'm not sure if you or any has reached out to them yet, but the lack of actual "supporting documentation" other than per se, is still a gigantic hole left way unanswered yet.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: The conclusions that I reached, I came to because I was asked to try to identify this document, and to my own satisfaction, I did. I record those conclusions and talk about them because, as I said before, it drives good research into 1973, and we need more of that. I think my conclusions are narrow ones: saying merely that this document preserves pre-D&D system is largely consistent with your skepticism, as I read it. I really do try to avoid making rash or reckless claims, but I'm comfortable with my narrow conclusions even though I freely admit there are many things about this document that we don't know now, and may never know.

I think we're close to being on the same page here, I just come to a different conclusion as you do with respect to whether what you found thus far is definitive enough to make a proper labeling of as being a "legitimate" pre-pub manuscript.

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:I don't hear you challenging the contention that this document preserves some pre-D&D state, so the question is just how much.

That's true, and I have two very specific reasons for it.

1)        I'm not sure if it proves anything one way or the other.

2)        More importantly, truth be told, without any other sort of non-published supporting documentation as a specific guideline and a basis of what to look for, I don't find it particularly compelling. The reason for this is that anyone who has/had access to the existing published material at the time could have done this.  
You could easily question(and I believe you actually have in this thread, or perhaps on your blog) why someone would go through the trouble to do so, but those reasons are many and varied.  One only needs to look at the still "famous" The Expanded Editorial of Jim Perelman's 1st Ed PHB to find someone at the very least passionate enough to go through such endeavor of "restoring" something he perceived as needing "restored".  So while it might seemingly seem like a lot of work for some outsider to have gone through, I don't think that it can simply be brushed aside as not probable either. I've been amazed on many occasions at what people are willing to go through to try and prove a "point".

increment wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:Where I have to agree with you is that we could never rule out on the basis of textual evidence alone that someone other than Gygax or Arneson could have re-typed pre-publication material, preserving 99% of it, perhaps introducing minor variations in phrasing or system intentionally or by accident as they went through it.  But that wouldn't make this any less a pre-publication edition of D&D to me, anyway - the FFC preserves many of Arneson's pre-publication original notes, verbatim, and they aren't any less his original notes because he shipped them to the JG who (mercifully) edited them for publication some years after D&D came out. Back in the day, many of Gygax and Arneson's pre-publication drafts were ultimately typed up or edited by others, and those parties introduced such small variations routinely. I don't think it's very unlikely that someone in Gygax or Arneson's circles typed up this document.

While all of this is quite likely to be true, it does not specifically point to any evidence that the Dalluhn Manuscript is just that.  To be clear, the things you list most certainly did happen prior to the publication of OD&D, but that in of itself is not evidentiary to the Dalluhn being actually part of that particular process.  To me, without some sort of true physical tie in, one that was not published, thereby allowing anyone not involved in the actual process of the creation of OD&D to have the ability to create this document, it's still way too early to proclaim anything definitively about this document.  To be honest, that breakthrough may never come, but that's not a good reason to rush to a final judgment either.  

In any type of research, sometimes that's just how it works out.

And I say that, not to try and discourage you at all. As I noted above, I think that your research into this and other things of the early days of wargames/RPGs is an invaluable service to the community at large  in both learning more about what happened back then, as well as keeping it visible both now and into the future.

And that is to be nothing but commended 100%.

I'm just not sure that coming to a conclusion without enough significant supporting evidence is the way to go in this(or any other) case.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 pm 

bclarkie wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D:2)        More importantly, truth be told, without any other sort of non-published supporting documentation as a specific guideline and a basis of what to look for, I don't find it particularly compelling. The reason for this is that anyone who has/had access to the existing published material at the time could have done this.  

While I agree that it is within the realm of possibility that fans could make radical extrapolations from the published material, I don't think that is a sufficient explanation for examples like the elemental devices, or the "division" for alignment, or the Magic-user spell list order - and especially not for all three in the same document. I'd say similar things about the correspondences with pre-D&D Arneson's notes as preserved in the FFC. But moreover, there are in fact such correlations with unpublished material, like the "Wizard Gaylord" sheet I showed in PatW, that form part of the evidence here (in the "personality" list, for example). Those are the sorts of things that tell us what to look for in a pre-publication document, though to date I'm not aware that OD&D has been much subjected to the sort of scrutiny that would even uncover that discrepancy about elemental devices, let alone seek an explanation for it. I do thank you for your encouraging words that you see value in my ongoing research on these sorts of questions, and I really do appreciate your good-faith efforts here to keep me honest.

bclarkie wrote in 1973 Pre-publication Edition of D&D: To me, without some sort of true physical tie in, one that was not published, thereby allowing anyone not involved in the actual process of the creation of OD&D to have the ability to create this document, it's still way too early to proclaim anything definitively about this document.  To be honest, that breakthrough may never come, but that's not a good reason to rush to a final judgment either.

I believe the examples like the ones I cite above are sufficient for me to establish the "tie in" for the narrow claim I've made ("involved in the actual process of the creation" is a kind of vague term, but I would argue this evidence does restrict the set to that, pretty much). I would hesitate to make a stronger claim from this evidence. However, even that weak claim means we're dealing with a unique resource here: as you say, something that we've simply never turned up before. Given the difficulties in authenticating the document, though, it could hardly be surprising that something like this would be overlooked - arguably it's hidden in plain sight for more than a decade. If we knew a lot more about 1973, we'd have an easier time fitting the pieces of the puzzle together, and certainly I don't pretend we have them all even. No scholarly judgment is ever "final," and yes, new evidence could come light in the future that would change how we view 1973 in any number of ways. My challenge here has been to try to find the right posture of advocacy, to draw a line where are some things we can say with real confidence about the document, and to be very cautious about other things. I think we can say with real confidence that there is pre-D&D system material preserved here; I don't think other explanations for the sorts of evidence I mentioned above are tenable.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

Is the full document available for anyone else to study yet?

PreviousNext